Making a difference, one moment at a time...

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fitness 101

My earliest memories of exercise are when I was about 12 years old.  I remember "running" with my dad...ok, HE would run, I would would jog v-e-r-y slowly.  When I was 17 years old, my mom and I joined a local fitness center.  I had my first encounter with aerobics classes and treadmills at Ozark Fitness Center.  It was truly the beginning of a life long habit that I thoroughly enjoy!!  Last summer, I started talking with a friend of mine about the fitness industry, and her heart for mentoring women in this area was obvious.  I began attending Linda Denton's group exercise classes and with her help, I became licensed to teach.  I'm so excited to have her as a "guest blogger," sharing her passion and knowledge for health and wellness.  Enjoy her fitness and nutrition tips, awesome recipes and encouragement to live your life to the fullest.




 My name is Linda Denton, 37, wife of a wonderful husband Andy, and mother of three great kids~ Lexie (9), Ashlyn (8) and Drew (6). I am a sister to four siblings, a lover of God, fitness fanatic and crazy baker. 
I have always been an active person, playing basketball since junior high, and participating in anything else my brothers or sisters wanted to play.  After getting married, I started a desk job, turned 25, and realized I needed more physical activity.  We bought a treadmill, which was effective until I became bored with the same work out every day.  Six months later, Andy and I joined a local YMCA.  They had everything from treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and group exercise classes.  This was the perfect fit for me – it added variety to my work outs, and gave Andy and me the ability to work out together before heading to work!
Then came my first pregnancy....the doctor said I could do any workout I had done before pregnancy, with the exception of crunches after six months.  I believe my labor and quick deliveries (less than 2 hours long) went so well because I was able to exercise during all three pregnancies.  After giving birth to my third child, I struggled to lose those final fifteen pounds.  Determined to return to my pre-pregnancy weight, I decided to embark on a new adventure.  I had been attending group exercise classes for three years and loved my instructors.  I completed my group exercise certification and started teaching.  It has been a great adventure!  I have met so many people and thoroughly enjoy what I do.  I love to encourage and strengthen other moms and women just like me. 

Through the years I have gathered a few helpful fitness tips.  I believe if you integrate the following suggestions into your schedule, you will see a huge difference in your overall health and energy level. 
FIRST TIP:  MAKE IT A ROUTINE.

  My everyday life looks very typical.  I get up, make breakfast, pack lunches, work on homework, help the kids get dressed, and drive them to school.  After dropping my kids off,  I head directly to the gym.  When Lexie, Ashlyn and Drew were younger, they knew this was the routine.  Make your work out an appointment every day--don’t schedule other appointments during your gym time. If finances are tight, there is a variety of ways to "cut corners".  
1) Many local YMCA’s offer sponsorships. Check with the Member Services to see if you qualify for assistance.
2)  Frequently, health insurance plans provide reimbursements if you work out twelve or more times in a given month.  If you are eligible for Silversneakers (55+ seniors), many health insurance companies will pay for your health club membership.  You need to sign up through the "Silver and Fit" (formerly Silversneakers) program.
3) If you want to get really creative, work in the childcare area a few times a week and get a free membership.  Your kids can go to work with you!  
4) Get certified to teach a fitness class, and you'll receive a free membership.   

Most women who work out with a buddy will be more inclined to keep their fitness routine.  The hardest part of working out is showing up!
SECOND TIP: GROUP EXERCISE.


  I love my group exercise classes!  I teach everything from cycling, boot camp, hi/low aerobics, step aerobics, water aerobics to seniors.  When you work out as a group, you become friends with people in the class. There's a sense of community and accountability within each class...women look forward to the social aspect of the class.  Before my kids were in school, I connected with moms and scheduled play dates after we worked out.  Going to a group exercise class also gives you variety and allows an expert to create your workout.  Try several group exercise classes to see what you enjoy most. Make sure you mix in strength training, as well as cardio classes. 
THIRD TIP: WORKOUT GEAR. 

 Spend a little money and get some new outfits, or use it as a reward when you reach your goal.  Shoes breakdown anywhere from six months to a year if you use them 3 or more times a week.  Protect your feet and invest in good shoes.  If you don’t know what shoes to buy, there are places that will observe your stride and show you what shoes are best for you.  Try on different several styles and then order your favorite online at a discount. (Amazon, etc.)  Don’t forget to bring lots of water to class to stay hydrated.  Purchase a sturdy, refillable water bottle so you don’t have to spend money on bottled water.  I like the Camelback brand (no leaks)!
FOURTH TIP: NUTRITION.

  This is a big one.  Frequently, there are people in my classes that get frustrated because they're not reaching their goals.  After some investigation, I discover they have changed their fitness routine, but not their nutrition routine.  I believe it has to be a lifestyle change!!   I am not a big supporter of diet plans. When you are told not to do something or not eat something, that can become all you think about.  Then you feel guilty when you mess up.  Some practical tips for your lifestyle: 
1.       Only drink water, no sodas, juices etc.  I've known people who only stopped drinking soda and lost 20 pounds!
2.       Make your own lunches at home and reduce the amount of times you eat out.  Serve meals buffet style... it is harder to get a second helping if you have to get up to get more.
3.       Eat things with real color. I go to a lot of business dinners with my husband, and I have learned to be selective.  Stay away from the huge rolls, butter and starchy potatoes. Load up on veggies, salad, and portion your meat. (A serving size should equal the size of your fist.) 
4.       Share desserts.  I am a baker and enjoy making treats.  The key to baking is not keeping the sweets in the house.  I save a small amount of goodies for the family, and give the rest to the bus driver, school teachers and neighbors! They will love it, and you will love not having the extra calories around. 
5.       Don’t buy it.  The key to nutrition starts at the grocery store.  Buy things with real color – fresh vegetables and fresh fruit (buy what is in season).  I like to price match items from other stores to save money.  Say "no" to processed foods. Anything that comes in a box and can be heated in 5 minutes is probably not good for you.  Read the labels.  Also, use spices...they add flavor, not calories. 
6.       Personal Favorite Recipes.
a.       Breakfast:  Energy Balls, Pumpkin muffins, Bananas, Smoothies (strawberry/ banana)
                                                               i.   Energy Balls: Mix 1 cup oats, ½ cup ground flaxseed, ½ peanut butter, 1/3 cup honey, ½ cup chocolate chips or raisins, 1 tsp. vanilla.  Chill for 30 minutes roll into balls.


                                                             ii.     Pumpkin Muffins:  Mix well small can of pumpkin with one spice cake mix.  Spray muffin pan.  Makes 12 large muffins
                                                            iii.      Oatmeal Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothies:  Mix well in blender 1 frozen banana, ¼ cup oats, 1 tbsp peanut butter, ½ cup yogurt or milk.
                                                           iv.      Strawberry/Banana Smoothie:  Fill blender with frozen strawberries ¾ full, then add one banana, 1 cup vanilla yogurt and add orange juice to your favorite consistency.
b.      Lunch:  Ham and Cheese Wraps with lettuce & tomato, hard boiled eggs, or avocado with lettuce and tomato wraps.  For variety, warm it up on a Panini grill or George Foreman Grill.   
c.       Dinners:  Chicken fajitas on the grill, homemade vegetable stew or baked sweet potato fries. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit –fresh steamed green beans with squeeze of lemon and salt, steamed carrots with little drizzle of honey, or roasted broccoli with sprinkle of olive oil.
FIFTH TIP:  EXERCISE.

  Start at home! If you are new to the world of fitness, begin walking ten minutes a day. You can put young children in a stroller and GO!  They will love being outside. Increase your walking time by five minutes every week.  Once you feel like you’re ready to add more, jog for a minute, then walk a minute and continue.  Set a goal by registering for a 5K with a friend.  Add variety like climbing stairs, or walking up a steep hill at the park while the kids are playing. As the weather gets warmer, get creative at the park. There aren't many people there at 9 o’clock in the morning.   Do planks with your feet up on swings, pushups on the park bench, tricep dips off the side of bench, pull ups on the monkey bars, reverse crunches hanging from the monkey bars,  chest pulls using the chains of the swings, walking lunges and traveling squats in the grass. 

A lifestyle of fitness should be enjoyable!  As you set goals, experiment with different activities and find a workout that's fun! The benefits you will experience, an elevated energy level, increased strength, and improved overall wellness, are well worth the time and effort you expend. Ultimately, the time spent exercising and preparing healthy meals is an investment. We are called to live a FULL life!  It may take time from your daily schedule, but it will increase the quality and length of your life.   You can do it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for so much for leaving a comment...I love hearing from you!!