Making a difference, one moment at a time...

Saturday, February 8, 2014

All That Sparkles...


My daughter, Karleigh, LOVES anything that sparkles...clothes, shoes, jewelry, accessories...can you relate?
These glasses are one of her FAVORITE 2013 Christmas gifts.
 Why are girls so drawn to sparkle?  Here are a few thoughts...

1) FUN~Sparkles are fun!  When I see a shiny, glittery item, it grabs my attention.  Some of us purposefully don't wear sparkles because we want to avoid the attention they draw.  But on a good day, I think we all like a little attention ;).

2) FABULOUS~Sparkly items are fancy and fabulous!  Girls like to dress up...it makes us feel special and pretty.  Doesn't every girl want to feel special?!

3) FASCINATING~Diamonds are loaded with sparkle!! There are no two diamonds that are alike, and each one is extremely valuable and fascinating!

Jordan, our 16 year old son, gets so frusterated when I buy glittery cards or gift bags because the glitter gets everywhere!  He is NOT a fan of sparkles on his sweatshirt and jeans...I guess it's not very "masculine."  Ha!
Jordan during a 2013 Nixa High School football game.
Photo credit: Jon Thomas Spence
 Like these cards and gift bags, we leave a trail wherever we go.  We leave a trail in our homes, in our workplaces, and in our neighborhoods (schools, grocery stores, gyms, etc.).  What are you leaving behind?  Are you leaving sparkles of appreciation, encouragement and laughter; or are you leaving a negative trail of anxiety, complaints and insecurity? 

Karleigh not only likes sparkle, she has sparkle...her daddy always says she brings sparkle wherever she goes.
Jon and Karleigh before the Father/Daughter Dance (February 7, 2014)
It doesn't take long to notice her laughter and ability to have fun no matter the circumstance.  Yes, she enjoys dressing up and takes special care in choosing her outfits, nail polish and hairdos, but her sparkle comes from the inside.  She has a joy and excitement about life that radiates from her heart, even first thing in the morning!

Zechariah 9:16 states, "The Lord their God will save them...they will SPARKLE...like jewels in a crown." As a child and young adult, I just wanted to blend in.  I didn't want to be seen for fear of people noticing a flaw or weakness--can you relate? But as I grow and mature, God's showing me that He's given me gifts, abilities and strengths so I can shine!!  When I become secure and confident in who God created me to be, I can more effectively help others see their sparkle.  Each of us is designed uniquely and beautifully for a specific purpose.  God wants us to live FUN, FABULOUS, FASCINATING lives and encourage others to do the same.  Don't be afraid to "sparkle" wherever you go...this is how people will see Jesus in you and want to experience the same joy they observe in your life.

"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.  God is not a secret to be kept.  We're going public with this...If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand--shine!  Be generous with your lives.  By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God." (Matthew 5:14-16 MSG)

I'll be introducing you to the men in my life in future posts. (Jon Thomas, Jordan, Jared and Jon)
A couple of them may even be guests bloggers!

2 comments:

  1. Savannah has some sparkly jeans that leave a trail:) Good thoughts! Thanks Danica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love girly stuff, including the sparkles left behind :). Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete


Thank you for so much for leaving a comment...I love hearing from you!!