Making a difference, one moment at a time...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

How to Have a Frugal AND Fun Valentine's Day

Another Valentine's Day is behind us, and many people I know are breathing a huge sigh of relief!  This year I began to view Valentine's Day through a different lens.  Here's the way I see it~it's a special day set aside to celebrate our love and gratitude for the AMAZING people who have been placed in our lives.  I've been considering that we shouldn't have to be in a romantic relationship to celebrate Valentine's Day; and to take it one step further...should our love and affection only be communicated one day out of the year?

Our family always celebrates Valentine's Day together, usually in the evening.  We make a nice meal and give cards, candy and/ or small gift cards.  When Jon purchases the cards, the kids know to expect humor :).   Inside each card, Jon and I always take the opportunity to tell each child specifically what we love about him/her.  I love being able to shower them with affirmation and encouragement every chance I get!!


Thursday night Jon and I had the privilege of sharing with a group of college girls during a dorm chapel.  It was a great opportunity to talk to them about healthy friendship and dating relationships.  After it concluded, a few girls came up to ask more personal questions about friends who weren't making good decisions, their career choices, and specific relationship questions regarding the men in their lives.  It was a precious time of investing in students, which is a passion of ours.  (My husband has been teaching for 25 years; 15 of those have been on the college level.)

Here are two sweet seniors that we met in 2010 when they started attending James River Leadership Campus.
Jon and I answering questions after sharing with the girls.
I loved the chapel worship time...

I want to share some of the things Jon and I did for each other yesterday... not because you need to know about all the details of our day, but because I want you to see how easy and inexpensive it can be  to make someone feel special.  First, I purchased a $5.00 Starbucks gift card and taped it onto our coffee maker.  I know Jon LOVES coffee, and for us $5.00 specialty coffee is definitely a splurge.


Next, I placed a tube of Carmex ($1.59) with a note on the driver's seat of his car.  Strange...?  Maybe for some, but he asks to borrow my Carmex frequently when we're out running errands, so I knew this would be something he would use.  When Jon arrived at work, I had placed a Vitamin Water ($1.69) and protein bar ($1.29 on sale) in his computer bag with another note.  He's been striving to be more disciplined in what he eats, so he knew I was trying to treat him without derailing his nutritional goals.  BUT, at dinner I did have a small goody bag with a chocolate bar for him ($.99), as well as treats for the kids.  For a grand total of $10.56, I was able to show him how special he is and how grateful I am for him through little gifts (one of his love languages).


Jon is always very thoughtful and generous in his expressions of love for me.  On Thursday night before our time with the students, he gave me a bouquet of roses (one of my favorite flowers).  The expression that was most meaningful to me, though, was a sweet compilation of notes that he left on our bathroom mirror. On each individual note he named something specific that he loved about me!  My heart melted!!

With a little extra time and intentional thought, it's very easy to encourage the people around us. It's a choice, and certainly doesn't have to be romantically motivated!  Plan ahead. What do the special people in your life enjoy?  Think through what you need and be ready to follow through.

Philippians 2:1-2,4 asks, "Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another...Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too." 

We are to be Christ's hand extended...that's why we are here!! Be intentional about blessing others.  When you have an "outward" focus, life is much more fun and fulfilling!  Share some things you've done to encourage the special people in your life.  We all can use some extra help thinking of creative ways to build others up.  Have an AWESOME week!

Jared and his award winning Valentine's box. 


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for so much for leaving a comment...I love hearing from you!!