Making a difference, one moment at a time...

Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Beautiful Mess...the Beginning

As I entered adulthood~marriage, the workplace, home management and parenthood~ I had this idealistic perspective about how my life should look.  My goals included marrying a godly man (who had an 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday work schedule); having children and raising them in a healthy, Christian home (where there was never any conflict, and we lived in unity 24/7); maintaining a well-balanced schedule and an orderly home (always clean, updated decor); keeping in shape through exercise and healthy eating (working out 1 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week); and basically living a peaceful, orderly, fulfilling life every moment of every day.  Was that too much to ask?!

In July 1993, this was my reality...I married the man of my dreams.  He taught junior high history and coached high school football.  We traveled to Waco, Texas immediately after our honeymoon to attend my graduation from Baylor University, and I began working part time as a speech therapist in August 1993.  We purchased a modest 1,200 square foot home in Springfield, Missouri, and my journey as an adult began!  As I write this, I realize how perfect this reality sounds, and it was WONDERFUL! But my idealistic expectations turned my rose-colored lens to a slight shade of gray as I began learning to cook, trying to decorate on a skimpy budget with little experience, and my football coach husband was coming home between 7:30-8:00 every night except game nights (which were closer to 11:00 pm).  I quickly realized my perspective and attitude are what create the beauty or shattered hopes of my reality.

In this blog, my hope is that you will be inspired to see the beauty in your current situation.  Whether you are a poor college student, a young newlywed, a tired new mom or a driven career woman, I know your world has beautiful potential.  I will be sharing helpful home management tips, delicious recipes, frugal finds, encouraging thoughts on parenting, marriage and spiritual growth in a culture that values the external.  May we ALL find beauty in our messy moments!!


5 comments:

  1. Danica,
    Glad you started a blog.
    I'll be following you.
    Uncle Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read more Danica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I appreciate your feedback! I hope your family's doing well!

      Danica

      Delete
  3. Uncle Wayne,
    Thank you for your encouragement! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love your blog already. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for so much for leaving a comment...I love hearing from you!!